20/10/2012

A new site: S-W Agnews hill

Went to Big Collin today and met Bertie there. I only managed two top to bottoms as the conditions were quite variable and not really any good. Unfortunately this site is a bit like that. either it is windy enough but not quite on the hill or it is smack on the hill but not quite window enough or it is too windy.

Bertie got a bit of flying in while waiting for a student to join him but as the conditions were not great for training he decided that he would try a rarely used site at the back of Agnew's hill and I joined him. After about quarter of an hour stomping around in waiting for Bertie to get a key to the gate we drove about a mile up a small lane and parked up in a lay-by.

It was a walk up that seems slightly easier than a Big Collin Mountain which included me nearly falling on my face when I found a two foot deep water filled gully with my left boot (brand new boots I might add). I have previously heard people talk about how much heather covers Agnews hill and it is like a carpet in places, certainly where I decided to try and take off. I have also heard that heather easily tangles in your lines but this didn't bother me but I suspect that is because my lines are of such an old (huge) design.

Unfortunately the conditions were not quite strong enough for soaring. So after a quick slope landing I finished off with a nice soft squidgy landing at the bottom. I can see the benefit of this new site more and it is certainly a forgiving

Although I have some flight logs for today it is a far cry from the flights I had in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment