01/09/2011

When to not fly

We were out training at Big Collin Mountain again today. There were a few other (qualified) pilots there and it is always nice to see other people about when training. I have mentioned previously what a pleasant and approachable bunch they are. There is also plenty of friendly banter (or craic) and often encouragement.


I managed a flight from the top with an accurate landing next to the wind sock. Climbed back up the hill for another go, but by the time I got my breath back the conditions had become too gusty. This is an important lesson right here. Even if you have climbed to the top of the hill and put significant effort doing it, you should only fly when the conditions are suitable. I unfortunately had to pack away my wing, even though I was raring to go for another flight (second flight of the day always seems more exciting than the first to me because the first seems to clear the cobwebs from your mind). Even though other pilots were still flying, you have to remember that they have been doing it longer than you. I comfort myself in the confidence I have built up from the ever increasing height and distance that my flights have given me. It would be a shame to rock that confidence prematurely with what my instructor calls a "roller-coaster ride." Besides anything else, if an instructor with 20 years paragliding experience behind him says it is too gusty for you, then it is "TOO GUSTY FOR YOU."

This reminds me of some wise advice:
It is better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.
Although I only got one flight in, I hand made enough (including previous outings) spot landings to sign that off as a task on my way to my club pilot qualification. I also got reverse launches signed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment