03/09/2011

Another milestone, top landings

Took a trip to Dungiven today, there were already paragliders flying when we got there. I was intrigued to see a hang glider sat out on the hill. I am interested to see one flying to understand how they move and behave in the air, and to see just how much faster they are than paragliders. Also I am aware that I will likely have to share the sky with one at some point in the future. Unfortunately it sat unused on the hill until it was packed away.


We started out with some more ground handling. My instructor wanted me to try to get the wing to stay above my head for as long as possible without moving. I found this very difficult and I am not sure if it was because the wind was too weak or I wasn't able to process the feedback the wing gives me by pulling the harness. I would happily blame the lack of wind except my instructor had a go on the same kit I was using and was able to do it without a problem. Just when I started thinking I was getting the hang of it I would notice some head shaking and look up to see the wing over to one side or the other and not happily flying above my head where I thought it was .


After this the wind died down and most people packed up and went home, then it picked up a wee bit (pretty much perfect for me). We went through a flight plan that included trying for a top landing (landing on top of the hill you started from) and possibly slope landings if I got enough height. If I didn't get enough height then I would go for a trusty bottom landing in my thistle field. So off I set, wing above me and staying there ( it seems I can do it al-right if I am moving forward). Up I went and turned into wind, I got a 10 minute soaring flight with bags of height and with radio assistance top landed. Unfortunately lost control of the wing after touch down where I tripped and fell for the first time in ages but got back up quick before anyone noticed.


I gathered up the glider and walked 100 or so meters back to the take off aera. The next flight plan included Big Ears. This is where you reach up and grab the lines that attach to the outside front parts of the wing and pull down until you fold the wing tips in. It is used to reduce height (or to slow ascent in lift) it works because a smaller part of the wing is now flying and therefore generating less lift. We only planned to do this if I had plenty of height. So again up I went, got another flight of 15 minutes, successfully tried Big Ears, I tried for a slope landing, but aborted about 20 feet up as it looked to me like I was running out of field before a fence, headed out off the cliff again, and got a load of lift which put me back where I started. I landed with a perfect (well it felt like it) top landing and controlled canopy collapse.



Signed off on Big Ears task for CP rating, and put down two of my four required top landings.
Top landings are great because with any luck it means I will be doing less of the knackering hill climbing back up to take off you need to do on some sites so I grinned like a maniac all the way home.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your training is coming along well. Don't worry about tripping, even the seasoned Pro's do this once in a while.

    I'll be watching you closely - it brings back memories. Loving the blog by the way, I use my own to record my lessons learnt and to hopefully help others learn from my own mistakes.

    Good on you!

    ReplyDelete