29/08/2011

Other fun things to do with wind

I wonder how many search engine hits this page may get for people looking for a different type of wind.
We were camping at the weekend in Benone in Limavady (if you get a chance, use the council run campsite, not the privately run one). I did initially think about bringing my wing with me as the Magilligan site over looks the camp-site, but the weather forecast was pants. It turns out this was a good call because it rained on and off all the time we were there. On the bank holiday Monday I got a text message from Bertie (my paragliding instructor) that he was coming to Benone beach with his X-Sail land yacht
Waiting on Benone beach.


After we packed away the two tents, we went to the beach to wait for the two retired nutters with their land yachts . The kids started complaining that they were cold, but livened up a bit when the two cars pulled up and started assembling the X-Sails. About 10 mins later the yachts where wizzing up and down the beach. Bertie pulled up in front of us as we watched and asked who was first for a sail up the beach. To my surprise and delight my 5 year old daughter jumped on to Bertie's lap and they shot off across the sand at a rate of knots. That was it then, the 3 boys wanted a go. When it was my son's go he was told that I would be getting a go next.
So the last kid jumps out and I am offered a go (on my own) with the encouragement "Go on, there is nothing to it."


Gingerly I got in, with one minutes tuition, I was racing across the sand with ease. There really is nothing to it, get the wind side onto the sail, gently pull the rope to speed up, release to slow down and steer with handle bars. If all else fails turn into wind and the thing will stop, there wasn't even any breaks to worry about. The yacht travels fastest when the sail is at a right angle to the wind. I think the best part of the experience was when the yacht was up to speed the forward motion seemed effort less.


After a couple of circuits around the i
ce cream vans I jumped out and let the last big kid (my friend we were camping with) have a go. After that Bertie offered the wives a go, but they declined.

Shortly after this (with the kids moaning that they were cold) we left for lunch in Port Stewart. Over lunch my friend and I talked about how we can convince the wives to let us get X-Sails. Alas I think I need to sort the rest of my paragliding kit first though. Although I have a wing, I need a harness, a reserve and a helmet before I am anywhere near a basic kit, then there is the flying suit, vario/GPS, wind meter and radio. I suspect that may only be the begining of it. At least with an X-Sail that is all you need.


No comments:

Post a Comment