13/07/2012

6.4 km at Robin Young's Hill

With the torrential rain we have been having lately (wettest June on record etc.) I was glad to get out today for a bit of soaring. I got a message from Bertie to say that Robin Young's hill was soar-able.

When I turned the corner that brought the hill into view I could see a Martin was flying his glider high in the ridge lift above the hill. It still makes the hairs go up on the back of my neck when I see a glider in the sky.


So I excitedly parked and put on my boots and climbed up the hill with my gear. Half way up I got a text from Bertie saying the wind was a bit rough which deflated me a little, but this was evidenced by Martin opting to land out in the middle of the field. When I reached the top of the hill Bertie was walking down to drive and collect Martin. So I busied myself with sitting on a rock checking the wind every now and then. I got bored sitting on my own after a bit so I left my gear next to Bertie's and walked back down to the car. A sandwich and a chat with Bertie and Martin later the conditions seemed to have improved, so we climbed back up. Conditions were now a wee bit choppy but nothing to worry about so I got ready while Bertie flew for a bit. By the time I had made myself happy with the conditions and equipment Bertie was setting up his top landing so I waited for a for a full report... "A bit choppy, should be fine."


A few moments later I was off the hill being watched by two experienced pilots who would now and then give me hand signals on how to improve my flight. It was always the same hand signals, move further in over the hill. The way Bertie explained this is that if you have the height to be in over the hill there will still be lift there, and when you turn out from the hill to change direction you will not fly out of the lift (or at least not so far out of it).


Below is my track log:

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment