11/03/2012

Flying with others

Training today was at probably the most used site in Northern Ireland, Dungiven. Bertie and I headed out fairly early to be greeted at the windy, cloud covered hill by two glum paragliders pilots and a hang glider pilot. After an hour or so,  more pilots had arrived, the wind had dropped and the cloud was starting to lift.
This low cloud was an improvement over the earlier conditions

I was quite looking forward to seeing a hang glider in flight as I have never seen one before and I think it is important to at least see how aircraft you are sharing the sky with behave.
I tried to take a picture of a hang glider but it had shot off into the distance by the time I got the phone out.
I was surprised at the number of pilots arriving, and that I knew so many of them to talk to. By the time the flying got into full swing there were probably ten aircraft in the air at any one time and up to three of those could be hang gliders. One of the 'Hangies' made low pass at speed over the take off area (no-one was taking off at the time otherwise he wouldn't have done it), the noise of the thing cutting through the air is quite impressive.
I only managed to snap four gliders airborne but there were plenty more out of shot
All told I only got one flight of about 10 mins but I can add pitch osculations (damping out when the glider starts to rock you back and forth), flying with others and another top landing to the tasks completed.

All I believe I have left now are a couple of slope landings and one more top landing and I have finished my club pilot tasks. The weather this coming week is looking good so hopefully not long until I nail it.

No comments:

Post a Comment