07/04/2013

Shane's Hill

Missing out on what sounds like a really tough walk up White Mountain yesterday I was glad to get a phone call from Ian C. to see if I wanted to chance Shane's Hill. Ian had identified a small weather window that would hopefully allow some flying at Shane's Hill before the wind got stronger in the afternoon .

I only got two flights, the first was only a couple of minutes long, a quick run down the ridge gaining lift, then turn back and slowly sink back down for to a top landing almost where I took off. The next flight I started sinking straight away so I headed towards the low end of the ridge. There I soared for a while and found myself above take off again. I pootled about back and forth in front of take off (the guys that were there were not ready to take off yet so I wasn't in any ones way). With the thought of aiming to land in the bottom field near the car to save me walking too far I got quite low and far out the front but several times I was able to regain my height back to above take off. I was at one point soaring a small bank with a fence along it and a thermal helped me back to the top again.

Slowly but surely I made my way down the hill to land by the cars but not before encountering some quite strong patches of lift that a better pilot than I would have been able to use to get back up the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment