02/02/2013

So that is why it is called White Mountain

I had been watching the forecast for today's weather like a hawk all week and each day it got a little more promising. I arranged to be able to get away early, Ian C. and I left for Dungiven about 10:30. On arrival the wind was on the hill but only managing 6-8 mph, no where near enough. We phoned some other pilots we were expecting to see, they were over on White Mountain with a couple of pilots in the air. So we jumped in the car and drove the 8 or so miles. It is amazing the difference a few miles can make to the conditions.

There was still patches of snow in places all over White Mountain, I guess that is how it get's its name. Usually there is plenty of puddles and standing water dotted about take off but helpfully these were iced over.

We found the other pilots on the North West point of the hill and after a quick greeting I managed to get ready quickly (for me) and set my new Go Pro Hero 3 to record. For the camera I performed a more or less perfect take off. After about 25 minutes flying my right hand was feeling cold so I landed to try and warm it up only to find that the camera had not recorded anything... it seems that I had only switched it on. I thawed my hand and after the pain subsided I tried to ensure that it was warm before I took off again.

My second flight was recorded and was slightly more interesting than the first. The take off wasn't nearly so elegant, though I have had worse and I managed to relax a bit and push out from the hill a bit more. It also ended in hugging the hill at the end and managing a top landing with probably the least amount of height yet.


A nice easy soaring day to start this year's flying was just what the doctor ordered. Bring on the spring.

2 comments:

  1. Nice landing!

    Stuart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Ian, like the comments on the screen!

    Ian C

    ReplyDelete