08/01/2012

Aspirations

It has now been four long months since I was last suspended below several kilograms of nylon. Apart from the the fact that not a day goes by that I don't think about flying again I am a little concerned that any skills I had acquired are ebbing away.
Having nothing to do but think about flying I thought I would put down some of the things I would like to achieve.

Fly
This would be nice, lets hope the weather gets its act together soon. Anywhere would be nice, top to bottom, slope landing, top landing, anything. I would even be happy if I got out and only got some ground handling in.

Soar at Magilligan
I would love to soar the ridge at Magilligan and top land, not only because it is a beautiful part of the world but because that is where I first experienced paragliding.

Pass my CP
Passing my Club Pilot (Novice) certification is the gateway to many other things on this list.

Soar a ridge and land on a beach
I think it would be cool to ridge soar then do a bottom landing on a beach (maybe in front of my wife and kids while we are camping).

Soar sand dunes
I have seen a few of the club members soaring sand dunes. This looks like a bit of low level fun.

Get bored of soaring
I have read somewhere that some refer to soaring as "boring soaring." Well I would very much like to be in a position where I am bored of soaring. The natural progression from this would be cross country flying or"going over the back" as the "grown up" pilots in the club call it.

Clock 10 air hours
After you achieve 10 hours airtime (post CP) you can remove the red ribbon from your harness that signals to other pilots that you are a training/low airtime pilot. The ribbon is the equivalent to the R plate new drivers have to display on their cars in Northern Ireland (P plates in the rest of the UK).

Convince someone I know to try paragliding
I would love to share the joy I get from paragliding with someone else.

Fly in another country
I guess I am most likely to fly in the Republic of Ireland first because that is the nearest and easiest place for me to get to. I would of course love to fly in my home land of England but I think as my brother has moved to Iceland I would like a chance to fly there at midnight.

Coaching
One day when I have the appropriate experience I would like a crack at coaching. I have no idea whether I have any qualities that would make me a coach but I do have enthusiasm.

Fly tandem
Again this is in the spirit of sharing. I think I can convince more of the people I know to start paragliding if I can take them up myself. I can't think of a better way to share paragliding. The minimum air time needed before you even think about tandem training is 100 hours so this is a fairly long term aspiration.

1 comment:

  1. Mate, I'm in Cyprus where the weather is supposed to be year-round flyable! I haven't flown since November (apart from a quick top-to-bottom when the wind died on take off).

    It'll get good again I'm sure! It's funny that your hopes kind of mirror my path. I'm up to the Coach side and trying to get my 100 hours so that I can try and get my instructor licence.

    Iceland flying though..... ooooh now that does sound nice!

    ReplyDelete